Wednesday 6 May 2015

Something for Marc Yeats...

Despite the absence of recent posts on here, there is such progress being made behind the scenes.

I heard a piece by the brilliant Marc Yeats and I wanted to dedicate something to him.  Listening to Marc's music is always an inspiration for me and he is a very good and supportive friend.  I promised him that I was writing a piece, dedicated to him, called post hoc: (after it), by which I intended to suggest that my music came after listening to one of his most recent pieces.

I intend to fulfil my promise!  But I was looking through my catalogue of study scores on YouTube last evening when I came across a piece by the late American composer, Morton Feldman, which just blew my sock off.  This was the music that had been in my head all these years:  the slow place, the proliferation of silences, the atonal but repetitive nature of the music narrative.

So I began to sketch a piece for piano, touches, which unfolded so organically from within itself, perhaps as if I had been given 'permission' to write it.  It will all be done in a few days and I'll have made that breakthrough which has eluded me for so long.

post hoc  will still be written, I promise you, Marc!  But in this new style.  And with a force and vision I haven't felt for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment