Monday 2 February 2015

Is it really that long...?

Is it really that long since I wrote anything here?  Almost a year?

You might conclude from this long period of inactivity, that I have been inactive. I wish I might say, 'far from it.'  But the only thing I composed from beginning to end was one piece, Contours, for the Sheffield Society of Recorder Players.  I was played last July.  It went well, thank you for asking, with one comment hitting my funny bone, from the mouth of a Swedish(?) bass player...


it sounds like music from a horror film..

But, after rehearsing and actually have them watch me, the conductor, the final run through went well and it pleased me.  My friend Chris, who's close to ninety years old, did have one small reservation, however...

Oh Michael, why are you doing this to us?

After that piece, I composed nothing else in 2014.  I did little bits here and there but again failed to complete them.  Until the very end, 2014 was not a good year.

But this is 2015 and there's new hope.  I think I may have a handle on actually how to compose music.  Now that's saying something for someone who's been doing it for fifty years or more.  It's all to do with Elliot Carter, Caitlin Rowley and the notion of improvisation.  This is such a HUGE thing, I'll write a new post about it when I'm some way into the piece (for treble recorder and piano, composed for the saintedly patient Treena Hope) and I actually have something to show for all my words.

2015 has started better than I could ever have imagined.  I hope that means I'll finally get down to some serious composing again.

But please don't hold your collective breaths - it is almost a year since you heard from me...

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment