Thursday 20 February 2014

That Eureka Moment...!

I've been working on two pieces recently, side by side.  One a piano piece, the other for an old pupil of mine, Treena Hope, who plays treble recorder better than anyone I know.

The piano piece had a title and quite a few bars;  silentum inter (the silence in between) and, although I might write eight or nine bars in a single session, I fell into the habit of deleting half of them when I next opened the file. Progress, taking two steps forward and one back, was (as I'm sure you can imagine) painfully slow.

Then, at 3 am today, the solution came to me - put them together as one piece.  It was truly eureka moment but I needed to remember a few of the details and had to get up out if bed to note them down.  I was tempted to write the whole thing then and there but experience has taught me that working through the night is not a good idea.

I hope the next piece of writing on this blog will be called silentum inter and that it will mean that these two pieces have been successfully merged.

This is a short blog, rather like a long Tweet.  Yes, I have joined Twitter and already have 18 followers;  I'm no Stephen Fry but I do hope that number will increase soon.  After all, I've been twittering for almost three days now.  

Like my music, not every piece nor every blog has to be seminal.  I will keep this short just to keep you all posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment